About Me

My photo
GR, MI, United States
Above all else I must make a confession: I am a procrastinator. Whew, could not wait to get that out there. At the moment my name is Peter J. White. I am the son of Jim P. White and Ann M. White and the little brother to a Katie and older brother to a Ruth. Those are some of the people that are important to me. Over the past few years of my life I have changed more then ever before. Everyday is a new day; everyday is a new me. Not to say if you knew me in the heady days of high school you would not recognize my personality, or my appearance, but I would see you in a new light. Lastly I have learned a few things lately that I would like to share. Hard work is not cheap. Take nothing for granted. And, this one is for the world; if we work together we might make this whole damn thing (life, the universe, and everything) work. But mostly: enjoy. Much love, Peter J. White

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Training #1


For our first assignment the task was deceivingly simple. We needed to find an ad online and using photo shop, our own photos, or drawings, we were to replicate the add. So naturally I set out to find a add that I felt I could replicate. Most of the ads I found were either too complicated or too intimidating. Eventually I stumbled upon the ad to our right here.

The first thing I need was a picture of a can, that looked decent. So I borrowed a Friends Camera, a Cannon rebel digital SLR, and snapped a few pictures of a can of peas (I took the label off). If i remember correctly I shoot them at a shutter rate of 800, but it has been a while, I should start writing these things down.

Once I had snapped a few pictures of the can with both their respected backgrounds I imported the pictures into photoshop.
My first step was to get the two pictures, that were in color, to back and white. I played around with the contrast and saturation until the two pictures mirrored the look of the ad. Further more, while I was taking the pictures I was sure to set the lighting up in such a way to make the can on the right pop out like in its big brother ad.

Once I had achieved a similar enough look, I then cropped both image down because they were full sized photos. Then I dropped them both onto a new page. Next to replicate the text I began by looking through all the texts that photo shop had to offer, it proved to be a red haring. At the time I did not even think of searching the internet for it, but because of this project I now know better.

This is where I begin to fall completely short of expectations. There is not a graphic in the corner of my ad, like the original, nor are their any hands/can openers in my version. And to be completely honest I would prefer that this project would just die and leave me alone, but like bad slasher films, it just keeps coming back to haunt me.

That being said, this project taught me a lot about the workings of photoshop and that experience benefited me in my next endeavor. Our next project we need to take a series of sayings and help them communicate their meanings using photoshop.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers